Seitan with Lemon SauceCourse: MainCuisine: own creationDifficulty: Easy
This Seitan with lemon sauce dish surprises even the biggest seitan lovers. It has a unique taste of sweet and sour from the lemons and onions, while mixing everything up with this meaty consistency of seitan fillets.
Seitan is a vegan meat replacement made from wheat gluten and is very popular among vegetarians andvegans. It is very rich in protein, low in fat and carbohydrates and a very good substitute for meat as it is very versatile.
The sauce of this recipe is basically composed of lemon, onion and cognac.
While this gives a delicious taste to the seitan fillets, incorporating lemon to our diet is always an excellent idea. Lemons contain a multitude of beneficial properties for our organism, such as the high amount of vitamin C, fiber, potassium that helps to strengthen the immune system, antioxidants, and much more.
Put all this together and you get a real protein and vitamin bomb with these seitan fillets!
500 g seitan
4 tablespoons of flour
3-4 large onions
1 dash of cognac
350 ml of water
- Cut the seitan into fillets of approximately 1 centimeter.
- Peel and chop the onions into small pieces and set aside.
- Put the flour in a plate or bowl and coat the seitan fillets in it.
- Heat plenty olive oil in a casserole and when it is very hot fry the seitan fillets on both sides and set aside. Note that they have to be quite fried and crispy so that they do not fall apart or break with the sauce.
- In the same pan and oil, add the chopped onions and add salt and pepper to taste, fry for about 10-15 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemons and add their juice and the water to the onions and stir. If you like the sauce to be more intense and acidic, use more lemons. If you like it to be a bit weaker, you can add a little more water.
- Add a dash of cognac to the pan and cook for about 15 minutes over medium heat. If you don’t have cognac you can also substitute it with white wine, although cognac gives it a special touch.
- Blend the onion together with the lemon juice with the help of a Mixer / Blender or a food processor until you get a smooth sauce. If it is too thick you can add a little water.
- Add the seitan fillets to the casserole together with the sauce, cook everything together for about 3 minutes so that it properly absorbs the flavor – and then enjoy!