Vegan Lasagna with Béchamel SauceCourse: MainCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
The Lasagna is one of the centerpieces of Italian cuisine and should already be known to most people. For all Lasagna novices, however, the lasagna consists essentially of different layers of pasta plates and corresponding filling, which is normally based on minced meat and vegetables.
And we’ve turned it into an incredibly delicious vegan version so that meat-conscious Lasagna-lovers can can finally dig into this absolute joy of Italian cuisine again. As an alternative to minced meat, we’ve used textured soy chunks in this vegan lasagna recipe. The béchamel sauce is also completely vegan thanks to the plant-based milk.
The home made béchamel sauce is incredibly easy to prepare and gives the lasagna a creamy touch, while at the same time becoming crispy by gratinating in the oven. An unbelievable experience that you will want to cook over and over again!
The beauty of lasagna is that it can be filled with a number of vegetables, so feel free to choose the ones you like best (spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, etc.). But of course, you can also just follow our tips and ingredients below. This recipe has been tested and certified as delicious by a variety of family members and friends – amongst them heavy meat lovers, by the way.
- Ingredients for the Lasagna
150 g textured soya
2 green bell peppers
½ red bell bell pepper
100 g mushrooms (champignons, for example)
9 precooked lasagna sheets
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon oregano
- Ingredients for the vegan Bechamel sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
600 ml soy milk
60 g flour
1 teaspoon margarine
Nutmeg to taste
- Place the textured soy in a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes to soften.
- Soak the lasagna sheets in hot water for about 10 minutes until they are medium firm. Stir from time to time to prevent them from sticking.
- Slice the eggplant, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, onion and champions and fry in a frying pan with olive oil and a little salt for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the texturized soy with the help of a strainer and fry it in a pan with a good dash of soy sauce, garlic powder and oregano. Fry for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the textured soy along with the rest of the vegetables.
- VEGAN BECHAMEL SAUCE: Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the margarine and flour and stir for 2 minutes. Add the soy milk very slowly, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper and add nutmeg to taste.
- In an oven-proof casserole, pour a little béchamel sauce and assemble the layers, alternating the lasagna plates and the filling. (3 lasagna plates per layer). Add a little béchamel sauce between each layer.
- Once the sheets and the filling have been placed, cover everything with béchamel sauce and bake for 10 minutes at 220º C. Gratinate 5 minutes more to get the top layer a little toasted.