Vegan Meatballs in Red Wine SauceCourse: MainCuisine: SpanishDifficulty: Easy
Among the most popular dishes of Spanish cuisine are meatballs in sauce. It is a very traditional dish that can not be missing in any of Granny’s kitchens.
There are many varieties of meatballs and sauce, in this case the base of the sauce is red wine, which is also an abundance in Spain.
Meatballs are usually made with minced pork and beef, in this case, however, we have replaced these ingredients with vegan minced meat. You can either make these vegan meatballs yourself by buying some form of vegan minced meat or look for ready made ones in your local supermarket.
For anyone residing in Spain or the Netherlands, we personally liked the ready made meatballs from Heura the best so far (no advertising, but an honest opinion).
Vegan Minced Meat
1 green bell pepper
2 cloves of garlic
100 ml. red wine
100 ml. water
1 tablespoon of tomato extract
- Put the vegan minced meat in a bowl and add pepper and parsley, mix everything well, knead and form little balls in the shape of a meatball.
- Fry the vegan meatballs in olive oil and set aside.
- Chop the garlic and sauté, then add the bell pepper, the carrot and the onion (all cut in small pieces) and leave it to cook.
- After about 15 minutes (when the vegetables are cooked enough), add the spoonful of tomato extract.
- After 3 minutes, add the red wine and water and leave to cook for about 12 minutes.
- Puree the vegetables for the sauce in a blender, put the sauce back in the same pan and heat it up a bit.
- Add the meatballs and cook for 3 minutes (without boiling) and serve.